PNB teaching artist Rochelle Rapaszky with
Summit School 7th and 8th graders. Photo © Bill Mohn
Benefits & Considerations
- Students will participate in standards-based dance classes led by PNB teaching artists.
- Students will work together with their peers to create meaningful choreography that demonstrates creativity, knowledge, and cooperation.
- Students will have the opportunity to visit PNB dancers during rehearsal, tour the PNB costume shop, and attend PNB performances.
- Students will have the opportunity to perform their choreography on stage at McCaw Hall in a performance that also features PNB dancers.
- Students and families will be invited to PNB performances free of charge (outside of school hours).
- Every class from one grade level participates from each school, and every student in these classes participates.
Eastgate Elementary 4th graders
perform on stage during the
DISCOVER DANCE Community
Performance. Photo © John Austin
For Schools & Teachers
- PNB will provide opportunities for other classrooms and teachers in the school, such as preference for fieldtrips and workshops, free or discounted tickets, and in-school student performances.
- DISCOVER DANCE lesson plans are tied into classroom curriculum and are developed with teachers and staff to maximize student learning. These lesson plans, additional standards-based materials, and professional development workshops are made available to all educators in the school.
- Partner schools will be involved in state (Washington State Arts Commission) and nationally (National Endowment for the Arts) funded arts programs that address district needs.
- Teaching space and classroom time must be identified by school staff and teachers for instruction during the school day.
- DISCOVER DANCE can be integrated into the current PCP/specialist time to minimize classroom time dedicated to the program.
- Schools will be responsible for coordinating transportation related to DISCOVER DANCE, including a dress rehearsal at McCaw Hall, fieldtrip to PNB studios and/or matinee, and optional family transportation to the DISCOVER DANCE performance.
For Seattle Public Schools
- Increased access to dance for students who currently have little or no dance instruction.
- SPS teachers will have the opportunity to collaborate with their peers at their own school, as well as at other participating schools in the district.
- SPS will receive program evaluation materials to verify educational value, progress, and overall effectiveness of each school partnership.
- PNB is committed to working with SPS to identify ways to improve and scale the program to meet the needs of additional schools in the district.