School Dress Code
- Non-restrictive clothing.
PNBS Tots, Creative Movement, Pre-Ballet, Levels I-VIII
- Pink and flesh colored tights are welcomed. Tights should be matte (not shiny or Lycra), with no holes and worn without underwear. Ballet slippers should be leather, align with the color of the tights, and sewn with a single elastic.
- Leather ballet slippers that match the color of the tights (single elastics, no criss-crossed elastics).
- Leotard (color appropriate for the Level; see color chart below)
- Mid-length to long hair is required to be pulled back into a neat bun and fastened securely using pins and a hair net. Short hair needs to be fastened away from face. Students/parents must be responsible for the necessary supplies to have hair done before class time.
- Pointe shoes are required for Level IV-VIII (Freed preferred; personal fittings are scheduled each fall). Pointe shoe color should align with tights.
- Short-sleeved white leotard (clean, snug-fitting white t-shirts acceptable for Level VII and above)
- Black tights. No short cut-off tights or shorts are permitted at any time for any class or rehearsal (including Next Step).
- Thin white crew-length dance socks (no tube socks)
- White ballet shoes
- Dance belts are required for Level I and above.
- Men must wear shirts or leotard at all times.
- Hair should be combed and fastened away from face if long.
- No headbands, bandanas, or other headwear.
Please note: Do not use fabric softeners when laundering dance attire; it damages studio floors.
PNBS Logo Leotards
PNBS’s dress code is designed to encourage unity and discipline among our students. All students in PNB Tots, Creative Movement, Pre-Ballet, and Levels I-VIII are required to wear PNBS logo leotards. Students not meeting the required dress code will be restricted from participation in class.
PNBS Tots: Black
Creative Movement: White
Level I: Pink
Level II: Light Blue
Level III: Orchid
Level IV: Turquoise
Level V: Perfect Plum
Level VI: Royal Blue
Level VII: Chocolate
Level VIII: Navy
All Boys/Men: White
These beautiful PNBS-logo leotards are designed to suit PNBS’ dress requirement standards and create a uniform appearance in the classroom. Leotards may be purchased through Empire Dance Shop.
Leotard order forms are available in the School office and on PNB School’s website.
Empire Dance Shop
- Black Leotard for Technique, Pointe, Pas de Deux, and Extended Curriculum classes;
- White Leotard and white pointe skirt for Variations class
- Pink or flesh colored Tights; Technique Shoes should align with the color of the tights. Tights must not have runs or holes.
- Pointe shoes (Freed preferred; personal fittings are scheduled each fall)
- Leotard Guidelines: No excessively low or criss-crossed backs, sparkle, Lycra, contrast or patterned materials. Same color velvet allowed as edge trim on leotards.
- PNBS Logo Leotards: PD Women have the option (not required) to order PNBS Logo leotards in black or white
- Short-sleeved or tank-style white leotard, or white fitted dance t-shirt
- Black tights (no short, cut-off tights)
- White dance socks
- White technique shoes
Saturday and Theater for PDs:
- Black or pastel colors for female dancers
- Male dancers are permitted to wear plain colored tshirts (no graphics or writing)
- No cut off tights are permitted to be worn by males or females
Next Step for PDs:
Dress code or attire that allows safe movement and execution of company choreography (ie. Sweats, socks, tshirts)
Extended Curriculum Classes (Level IV-VIII and PD)
- Women’s Variations:
- Level VII – regular level leotard and black skirt
- Level VIII & PD – white leotard and white pointe skirt
- Pas de Deux: black tights allowed for women
- Jazz – jazz or technique shoes, black tights allowed for women
- Modern – technique shoes or bare foot, black tights allowed for women
- Seminars and Music – street clothes
Additional Dress Code Guidelines
- No shirts, legwarmers, skirts, etc., may be worn.
- Jewelry should be minimal: small earrings and watches at the teachers’ discretion. NO facial jewelry (nose rings, etc.).
- Shoes should be neatly sewn with like color thread. NO safety pins.
- Dancewear is to be kept laundered and in good repair. Any holes should be mended with same color thread.
- Please mark clothing, shoes and dance bags with the student’s name and class level. Extended curriculum dress code requirements are mandatory as announced.
- Dress Code must be adhered to in all Company rehearsals.
- Students that do not have proper hair or attire may be asked to sit out.